Thursday, April 2, 2009

"We Don't See This In The City"

It's a well-known fact that I am a city girl gone country. It is almost daily that I am exposed to something just a little more 'redneck' or 'truly southern' and today was no different. My cousin and I drove out to the Sinclair Dam this afternoon with hopes that the flood gates were open. Sure enough-4 gates were all the way open and billowing water down the backside of the dam. After giving up on our shoes (news flash: apparently the new big thing this season is to wear patterned rain boots...we-however-wore sneakers and dress clogs), we walked through the puddles and mud to get some shots. Between her holding the umbrella for me and my camera being carried around inside my coat-we were able to protect my gear. As for the river, I was astonished to see that everywhere we were the previous day was now completely underwater! Anyways, it was cool to see the clouds of mist and the swirls of water...and experience what we determined was a pretty redneck thing to do (you should have seen the big-wheeled trucks pulling in as we left)! One of the Code Enforcement Officers and a Baldwin Co. Sheriff came to watch the water too. Enjoy the pictures-they do not do justice to how awesome it really was!




1 comment:

The Smiths said...

I didn't realize you had never seen that. I took pictures out there a couple of years ago. If I can find them I will have to share them with you.

As far as big wheeled trucks... they used to go mud-bogging out there :)